Well Summer is finally here and while that means great things for your social life what with the endless backyard barbecues, pool parties and trips to the beach; it can mean disaster when it comes to your makeup! We all want to look our best all summer long but that can be tricky when your makeup wants to slide off your face before you even leave the house and face the hot & humid summer air. Not to worry though, I have put together some of the essential products you need for a natural look to wear poolside, and some tips to keep your makeup looking fresh and fun all summer long!
1. Foundation/Concealer. There are some brands that carry waterproof concealers & foundations. The key to using these products is only concealing dark undereye circles and/or blemishes. Don’t cover up your entire face as it looks very noticeable once the water starts breaking your makeup down. Use a concealer if you want more coverage, and a foundation for minor coverage. Tarte’s Amazonion Clay concealer is a great choice.
2. Eyeshadow. Opt for a light coating of a champagne shimmery eyeshadow on the inner tear ducts of your eyes and under the brow. The result will open up your eyes and make you look glowy rather than too made up. Make Up For Ever makes a great product called Aqua Cream that comes in a variety of shades that can be worn on the eyes/lips/cheeks and are waterproof.
3. Eyeliner. Now it’s your choice whether you want to opt for a more dramatic liquid liner or a soft & smudged pencil liner look. I like to opt for the latter when I’m at a more casual location, but definitely go for the drama when you’re somewhere trendy like South Beach. The fun part is there are a number of companies offering waterproof options in both styles. I usually go for a dark brown so as to not look overly made up. MAC’s PowerPoint waterproof pencils are a great option.
4. Lip/Cheek stain. This is a great way to get that rosy cheek/lip look without the risk of it fading away instantly. Apply it as heavy or light as you want the color to be. I love Benefit’s Benetint and have been using it for years!
5. Mascara. Almost every company carries a waterproof mascara in their makeup line now. The main thing you want to remember with your waterproof mascara is to be diligent about removing it. Waterproof mascara left on your lashes can build over time and trap bacteria which can cause your lashes to get brittle and break off, so always remember to remove your mascara before you go to bed! I love voluminous lashes, so my fav is Dior’s Diorshow waterproof mascara.
Now when it comes to removing all of this makeup, there are a number of waterproof makeup removers out there you can choose from. Or if all else fails, the fool proof go to product of choice for most makeup artists is good old fashioned Baby Oil! It always does the trick.
Here is a tutorial I did a while back that uses only waterproof makeup products.
What are some of your fav tricks to help your makeup last in the humid summer months?