What is Scalp Micropigmentation?
Scalp Micropigmentation, or SMP is a form of cosmetic tattooing in which an SMP artist implants pigment into the dermis layer of the skin to replicate the look of hair follicles. It is an amazing solution for those that are suffering from hair loss and want to regain the look of a full head of hair, or just to add a little density as the resulting look is very natural.
How does it work?
The process takes place over a minimum of 2 separate sessions scheduled 10-20 days apart. Each session takes about 1-2 hours.
- This is when we establish the hairline and implant the pigment throughout the entire area that needs to be covered. You will notice an immediate difference after your 1st session however the look really comes together after the subsequent sessions
- On this session we fill in density to add fullness and get closer to the desired outcome. Most clients will require 2 sessions, some may require a 3rd or even more depending on the amount of area that needs to be covered
- On the 3rd and subsequent sessions we will further fill in density to add fullness and achieve your desired outcome of a natural looking full head of hair
Who can have this done?
Men or Women with:
- Thinning hair (temples, crown or overall)
- Complete hair loss
- FUE/FUT hair transplant scars
How do I book my appointment?
We begin the entire process first with a video consultation where we assess your level of hairloss, discuss hair lines, your desired outcome, go over the entire process and come up with a treatment plan for you. After the plan is drawn up we can book you in for your first session.
Do I have to keep my head shaved?
That really depends on the amount of overall hairloss. In some cases we may be able to perform a density fill which will fill in the thinner areas to give an overall fuller look, and allow you to grow your hair to any length of your choosing.
Do I need to shave my head for my appointment?
Again, if the resulting look requires you to keep your head shaved, then yes you will be required to shave your head the day before your procedure.
How long does the process take?
The appointments are broken down into 2 hour sessions. Most clients require 2 appointments, some may require more depending on the area to cover.
I have Hair transplant/FUE scars, can I fill in my scar?
For the most part, YES! Again we will have to determine that during your video consultation, but most transplant cases make the best clients as it is just a matter of filling in the bare areas and blending into surrounding hair.
I’m a woman with thinning hair, I want to keep my hair long. Can I have this done?
Absolutely! We can determine the amount of hair loss during your video consult to see if SMP is ideal for you. If it is, then we can go ahead and perform a density fill which will give the overall result of a fuller looking scalp.
How long does scalp micropigmentation last?
SMP lasts anywhere from 3-5 years.
What should I expect at the end of my appointment?
The area will be a little red, which should go away after a couple of days. You are fine to wear a hat in the meantime if you like.
Does it hurt? Is there a numbing agent applied?
It really depends on your pain tolerance. It is not as painful as a traditional tattoo as the needle does not penetrate the skin to the same depth as a tattoo. Please note: We do not use a numbing gel for scalp micropigmentation.
- A $200 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your appointment at the time of scheduling. The deposit will be credited toward the procedure fees on the day of your appointment.
- Balance is due the day of your procedure. I accept Cash, Venmo or Zelle as forms of payment. Please be prepared to pay the remaining balance with either of these methods during your appointment.
- It is required to have your follow-up up appointment within 10-14 days after your original procedure.
- A 72 hour cancellation notice is required to cancel an appointment. If you fail to cancel your appointment within the 72 hours, you will forfeit your deposit. NO exceptions. An additional deposit will be required to make a new appointment. If 2 appointments are missed or canceled you will be required to pay the full amount before booking your service.
- If you are a no call or no show you will be charged 50% of your appointment fee for your missed appointment. We will send you an invoice which will be required to pay after 72 hours of sending.
- To avoid unfair delays to clients, if you are more than 15 minutes late to your appointment it will be necessary to reschedule. Regardless of unforeseen circumstances that may arise which could force you to postpone/reschedule your procedure. Please understand that such changes affect not only the artist, but other clients as well.
- Due to the nature of some artist work, appointments are always subject to change. When and if your appointment falls under a time-frame in which we may have to reschedule on our end, we will notify you 30 days prior so we can ensure you’re rescheduled in a timely manner.
- If you show up to appointment and have previous cosmetic tattoos that the artist wasn’t aware of he or she may deny you as a client and charge you a set up fee of $100.
- We have the right to refuse service to anyone!
General Post Treatment
Avoid chlorinated pools, saunas, steam rooms and tanning beds for 28 days post final session.
4-5 Days Post Session
|Sweat heavily (avoid intense exercise)||Wear a hat or skullcap|
|Scrub, shampoo area||Lightly dab area with wet cloth; light rinse is OK- do NOT soak|
|Shave over treated area||Sleep any way you wish|
|Expose to long-term sunlight||Drink plenty of water|
|Touch with hands||Take medication as prescribed|
5+ Days Post Session
|Scratch scalp or pick at any tiny scabbing||Carefully shave or cut your hair|
|Use any shampoos or exfoliants||Lightly rinse with water and soap|
|Use any self tanners or skin irritants||Apply a fragrance-free moisturizer|
|Resume light exercise|
After 10 days
Return to normal routine; Please wash head and cut hair before returning for follow up session.
Book your FREE Consultation
By submitting your email address you consent to emails from our office.