So you love the way red lipstick looks on other people, but you’re scared to try it yourself? Well here are 5 tips that will help break you out of that nude lip rut and give your lips some va-va-vavoom!
1. Start by choosing the right shade. There are so many out there, if you’re a newbie go for a sheer lip color, those that are more daring can go straight to the bold hues. My personal fav- Russian Red by MAC.
2. Always use a lip primer. Lip primers create an invisible border which prevents the lipstick from traveling into the crevices around the lips. Try Urban Decay‘s Lip primer potion.
3. Use a liner!! There is no more important time to use a liner than with red lipstick. Any rough, unfinished looking edges will be so much more pronounced with such a bold hue.
4. The lipstick application process: Apply, blot, powder, repeat. Blotting with a tissue will pick up any excess oils and a translucent powder will anchor the layer above.
5. Put your finger in your mouth, close your lips and pull your finger out. This is the best way to prevent lipstick from ending up on your teeth. Top with a gloss and you are good to go!